Owners have the mindset to keep their pets happy and feel as comfortable as possible. One of the things they do to make this possible is to buy their pets things that they think these animals may need or want. In most cases, this is a good way to help your pets live comfortably.

However, owners should always be cautious about the types of products they buy for their pets. There is always the possibility that a certain type of product, or the material it was manufactured from, can be harmful to animals. If unsure, you should get in touch with a reputable veterinarian and inquire if the items you feel like buying for your pets are safe for them to use or play with.

What Are Things You Should Not Buy?

Chew toys that are either too hard or too soft

Chews toys are meant to keep your pets entertained while also ensuring that they keep their teeth clean and their jaws strong. For animals, chewing can also be a way for them to relieve issues like frustration or anxiety. These chew toys become dangerous if they suddenly break or are very hard for your pets to chew. When chew toys are too soft, your pets are at risk of swallowing them. They are not meant to be swallowed and can become a choking hazard to your pets. 

Chew toys that are too hard, on the other hand, are dangerous because your pets will need to exert so much force and risk their teeth from getting damaged. In most cases, chew toys manufactured from nylon or tough rubber are known to be safe since they can usually withstand the jaw strength of an animal.

Ball of yarn

You may have seen movies or television shows that feature cats playing with balls of yarn. It is adorable seeing those cats chewing yarn and enjoying themselves. However, what you must understand is that yarn is made from a material that cannot be digested when swallowed by cats. Swallowing yarn can become a choking or an obstruction for cats. Choking happens when a cat suddenly inhales the yarn or it suddenly is lodged in the back of the cat’s mouth. Unless you are present when this happens and you can remove the piece of yarn right away, this is one of the most dangerous items to leave alone with your pet.

Tennis ball

There are pet owners who regularly play fetch with their pets using a tennis ball. Buying a tennis ball, for this reason, is still considered safe since your pet will be focused on bringing back the ball to you. However, if you plan on giving your pets some tennis balls so that they can use them as chew toys while you leave them alone, then this is considered to be a health hazard for these pets. Owners have to realize that the green fuzz on tennis balls is designed to withstand the constant hitting from tennis rackets and regular bouncing off the ground. This green fuzz is abrasive and can act like sandpaper to your pets’ teeth when they are chewing on tennis balls. 

As time passes and your pets regularly chew on these tennis balls, their teeth may become blunt and would eventually lead to dental concerns. Also, another problem is choking. If you own a pet, like a dog that has a powerful jaw, then your pet may break the ball in half and accidentally swallow a part of the ball. It is highly recommended that you do not buy a tennis ball for your pet unless you allow your pet to use it while under your close supervision.

Food that contains caffeine, cocoa, or too much salt

It is normal for you to buy your pets treats. However, you should always remember that there are certain ingredients added to some types of food that are dangerous to pets. Food that contains cocoa or caffeine is known to have theobromine. Theobromine is an alkaloid chemical that stimulates the nervous and cardiovascular systems. 

Animals cannot quickly digest this chemical, which may lead them to get symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, or even go into seizures. Food with too much salt, on the other hand, is naturally bad for all pets because their bodies only need a certain amount of sodium to survive. Since it is difficult to determine if you are giving your pets more than enough salt, then you should avoid feeding them junk food.

Veterinary Surgeon, London at Blue Cross UK | + posts

A London based Veterinary surgeon, Sanja is also an avid writer and pet advocate.